Infographic: Kangaroo care
View as PDF
Benefits of Kangaroo Care
Kangaroo care, also known as skin-to-skin contact, has great benefits for all newborns, but is especially beneficial to preemie babies in the NICU.
- Regulates baby’s heart rate, breathing, and body temperature
- Helps baby spend more time in deep sleep
- Improves baby’s weight gain
- Increases mother’s milk production for breastfeeding
- Increases bonding between baby and mother (or baby and father if he is practicing kangaroo care)
How to Practice Kangaroo Care
- Hold your diapered baby on your bare chest
- Place a blanket over the baby to keep her warm
Kangaroo care. March of Dimes. https://www.marchofdimes.org/baby/kangaroo-care.aspx.
Accessed April 11, 2019.